Investment Treaty Arbitration
Led by Cherie Blair QC, CBE, a member of the ICSID Panel of Arbitrators, our lawyers have extensive experience in investment treaty arbitration, whether institutional or ad hoc, including deep insight into claims under the ICSID Convention, the UNCITRAL Rules and the Energy Charter Treaty (“ECT”). We stand apart from other firms for our unrivalled experience and winning record in claims brought under the Investment Agreement of the Organisation of the Islamic Cooperation (“OIC”). We represent both investors and States across the world and have a unique ability to understand the complexities of investment treaty disputes.
Representation of States
- Omnia is representing the Government of Montenegro in an ICSID arbitration brought by an Austrian bank in relation to a currency dispute.
- Omnia is representing the Government of The Gambia in an ICSID arbitration brought by investors in respect of an oil concession.
- Omnia is an official advisor on international arbitrations to the Government of Rwanda.
- Omnia is a member of the Government of India’s Panel for investor-State disputes.
- Omnia represented the Governments of Pakistan and Balochistan in parallel ICSID and ICC arbitration proceedings initiated by an Australian company under a bilateral investment treaty in a dispute concerning the major Reko Diq mining concession.
- Omnia advised a Central Asian State on a review of its Bilateral Investment Treaties.
Representation of Investors
- Omnia is representing a U.A.E. investor in an OIC dispute against a West African country arising from the expropriation of a mining concession.
- Omnia is representing a Saudi investor in an OIC dispute against a South Asian country regarding a large industrial manufacturing project.
- Omnia is representing a consortium of international investors with a potential claim concerning the expropriation of mining concessions by a Central Asian State.
- Omnia is representing a Turkish conglomerate against a North African State concerning a major infrastructure project.
- Omnia represented an AIM-listed offshore oil and gas company in ICSID arbitration proceedings brought against a European state under the Energy Charter Treaty.
Investment Treaty Structuring
Omnia assists corporate clients to navigate international laws and regulations. Combining a clear understanding of public international law with local knowledge and insight, we advise corporates and family offices on how to structure international investments to minimise risks and maximise returns taking account of:
- Investment treaties and foreign direct investment rules
- Legislative reform
- Transitional justice
- Capacity-building, development and training
Public International Law Advisory
Omnia advises States on their Investment Treaties, including:
- Reviewing existing Investment Treaties and pinpointing opportunities for reform or vulnerabilities.
- Advising on how to minimise risks and exposure to investment treaty claims while promoting foreign direct investment and protecting the legitimate rights and expectations of investors.
- Advising on reforms to related domestic policies and legislation.